In 1855, Hiram Lewis, a Pony Express rider, became the town's first postmaster.He named the town Windsor because it reminded him of the grounds around Windsor Castle, a medieval castle from his home country of England. The following year, a business enterprise was built in eastern Windsor, which included a goods store, a shoe shop, a grocery and meat market, a saloon, a hotel, a boarding house, and two confectionery shops.The kitchen is open-plan to the living room and has a dishwasher plus all p...An executive apartment in this impressive building on Hermitage Lane backing onto Windsor Great Park.
It is immediately south of the River Thames, which forms its boundary with its ancient twin town of Eton.
This top floor apartment has been recently refurbished and includes a fabulous kitchen with granite worktops, integrated appliances (including dishwasher), bathroom suite with shower, mosaic stone tiles. This well located apartment was newly refurbished in 2015 to include a new kitchen, bathroom, flooring, carpets and redecoration plus all new furniture.
The apartment has two good size bedrooms - one with a double bed and the master with a king size bed and ensuite toilet.
During World War II, a United States Army Air Forces training air base (currently the Charles M.
Schulz – Sonoma County Airport) was built in southern Windsor, and it was common to hear fighter aircraft and bombers flying over the town.
The Northwestern Pacific Railroad was completed through the town in 1872, providing a faster and cheaper link to the Bay Area.